Business Leadership Program-Internship Overview:
The BLP-Internship is a 10-12 week paid summer internship that challenges you with meaningful and real work within one of 10 functional tracks (Credit & Capital Management, Data Analytics, Enterprise Operations, Finance, HR, Internal Audit, Marketing, Risk Management, Sales & Relationship Management, and Technology). When you’re here, you’re part of the team and we’ll expect you to help us raise the bar—and clear it. The BLP-Internship begins with an in-person orientation–providing you with a chance to build a strong foundation in our business before diving into your summer assignment. You’ll also have the opportunity to take part in our BLP Summer Series, an exclusive program for interns filled with executive career conversations, leadership roundtables, a day of community service, and, of course, a few social outings!
Credit and Capital Management BLP-Internship Description:
Credit & Capital Management is a gatekeeper to Synchrony. We perform mission-critical work of deciding who is accepted for loans, how much credit we should extend to them and for how long. This internship is for students who are looking to get a critical jump start on a career in Credit. Over the summer you have the potential to be exposed to:
- Learn the process of fairly and responsibly extending credit – including underwriting and managing loan portfolios, and mitigating fraud
- Help clients achieve the right balance of growth and loss mitigation
- Use credit analytics to develop and implement strategies that drive business decisions
- Understand the impact of credit performance on the Profit & Loss Statement
- Maintain relationships with Credit Bureaus and scoring vendors
These assignments offer an array of opportunities and projects to gain valuable hands-on experience. The internship will be spent working side by side with credit analytics, underwriting and fraud prevention professionals who you can shadow and apply your learnings to your own projects. Exposure to a variety of credit fields will accelerate your career and develop your skills in a cutting edge global environment.
- Academic excellence with financial, quantitative and analytical competency
- Finance or accounting knowledge/experience
- Analytical skills, ability to synthesize complex information, process-oriented
- Critical reasoning, problem-solving ability, creative thinking
- Prioritization and time management skills
- Team player
- Strong work ethic, passion for excellence with high integrity, and commitment to quality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- MS Office proficiency (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Software: SAS, Python, Machine Learning
- Modeling skills plus experience with financial statements P&L statements (cash flow a plus)
- Attention to detail and strong analytical and problem solving skills; strong organizational skills
- Must be an undergraduate student enrolled in an accredited college or university and have completed your sophomore or junior year pursuing Bachelors in accounting, mathematics, statistics, finance, economics finance/financial engineering, credit risk management, business, banking or relevant major
- Excellent academic record – Minimum overall GPA 3.0 or higher
- Geographic mobility
- Available for a minimum of 10 to 12 consecutive weeks
- Must be able to work minimum of 40-hour week.
- Synchrony is an equal opportunity employer. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- You must be 18 years or older
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-866-301-5627. Representatives are available from 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.
Synchrony is committed to our ambition of revolutionizing payments and banking. What makes us unique is our long history of providing customized financing and credit programs for leading organizations within retail, health, auto, travel and home. We work with our partners (who operate more than 380,000 locations in the U.S. and Canada) to improve the success of their business, while delivering exceptional service and financing solutions to their consumers.
Our purpose is clear: we pioneer the future of financing, improving the success of every business we serve and the quality of each life we touch. This starts with our people, who are our greatest asset. We celebrate our diversity and believe the sum of our individual differences is one of our greatest competitive advantages. We are a work family that will support and challenge each other. And this is where you come in. We’re looking for our future leaders who will challenge us to be bold and continue to drive our culture of innovation forward.
More information can be found at www.syf.com, facebook.com/SynchronyFinancial, www.linkedin.com/company/synchrony-financial, Twitter.com/synchrony / twitter.com/SYFCareers, https://www.youtube.com/synchrony, https://www.instagram.com/synchrony/.